WDL Demo Rss

Thoughts on Domesticity, part II



I think I published part I at some point last summer.

Earlier this week, I made a renewed attempt at domesticity by baking my first ever coconut cake, topped with my first ever batch of egg white icing. It was messy. It was arduous. It was suspenseful. It was triumphant.
[It was definitely not this dramatic. My summer has been so boring.]

"Unforgettable Coconut Cake" is the title of my maiden voyage. It was not unforgettable. But it was good!

The egg white took 20 minutes to stiffen. I don't think this is normal.


These are the stiffened egg whites. They don't look half as impressive as I felt after finishing them. Check out those 'soft peaks!'












The 'egg white icing.' Supposedly it only takes 7 minutes to make. False. You have to use a double boiler (a pot on top of a pot of boiling water) and beat the mixture constantly. Because I didn't have a hand-held beater, I kicked it old school and stirred furiously for 12 minutes.









The finished product! It was really too rich to be accompanied with ice cream,
so we sipped either coffee or [iced] milk with it.
My outsider test subject, Nate, had no comment after inhaling his piece. I was almost grateful, because I didn't want to receive some contrived or expected compliment. He did, however, finish his whole piece quickly, which I silently took as good news.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. As I was beating the icing (at about minute 8), I thought, "If I never had to have a career, and could just make my house a home for my family, I would be content."
Despite my revelation, I have decided to continue my university education in the fall. Hopefully my roommates will want to partake in my future attempts at domesticity!

Comment (1)

I'm making tarts this week!

Post a Comment