WDL Demo Rss

I'd like some Fiction with my bread and butter.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.
G.K. Chesterton

The feelings I have for my favorite hobby ebb and flow. At times I pride myself in my expansive reading history; at other times I blush at the overriding theme of the literature I have read (mostly novels); sometimes I become angry at myself for escaping into false realities; yet at other moments I relish in the peace of another world, basking in C.S. Lewis' comment that
Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it.
It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides;
and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become.

Lately I've been trying to stay away from romance novels in an attempt to keep a firm grasp on reality. Right before I made this vow, I re-read Jane Eyre. It is one of my favorites, mainly because the heroine, Jane, possesses a meekness that I only dream of having (though I do think meekness is really attainable on some level). As J. Oswald Chambers wrote,
If it is true that a man is known by the company he keeps,
it is no less true that his character is reflected in the books he reads,
for they are the outward expression of his inner hungers and aspirations.

One of the great things that I graduated with from Mingo Valley is an awareness of worldviews; simply, that in everything created by man there lies within a bias, a purpose, and an intent. This has aided me not only because I can aspire to be less of a consumer and more of a discerner, but also that I can look beyond the surface story for lessons, whisperings of the author's life, and most importantly, reflections of the Gospel.
I love Little Women because it's about sisters, and I have always wanted a sister.
I love Anna Karenina because Tolstoy's analysis of the female personality is spot on.
I love Dracula not only due to the gripping story line (and my bizarre fascination with vampires), but also because it reflects on a grander scale the terror of a Christian's battle with evil, and the hope of victory with the help of friends and Truth (even if that wasn't the author's intent).
I love Paradise Lost because it completely changed the way I view Heaven. Until I read it, I thought of Heaven as a dream-like world that existed in fuzziness and hopeful ideals. Milton brilliantly creates a dramatic setting that assigns real personalities to familiar Biblical characters, which makes one realize the, well, realness of creation, angels, demons, and Heaven.

I digress. I love reading. Right now I'm reading The Jungle Books for the first time, and loving it. I have to be careful, because if I read for too long I start to become cranky with the world in which I reside. This summer especially I would rather imagine myself in the Indian jungle than at Panera.
However, I would encourage you, dear reader, to read with eyes open deep and wide whilst you peruse your next novel. I am convinced that Jane Eyre has done just as much or more for my inner realizations than any given Christian book. Meaning or not, authors often include reflections of the Gospel in their stories. For my 58th quote of the day, think on C.S. Lewis' remark to young adults, as he utters,
A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist
cannot be too careful of his reading.


Comments (2)

So good. You, your post, and READING.

Well said. :)

Post a Comment