WDL Demo Rss

Language of the Romantics

Labels:

I love the days when it's ok to roll around in my romanticism.
(but how do I know when those days are?)

I attended a seminar called "Life Together" (regarding Biblical community) at RUF Summer Conference. Though we only briefly talked about the difference between romantics and cynics, it made quite an impression on me.
You see, I am a romantic.
Stereotypically, romantics are idealists. They love dreaming, visualizing, hoping, and creating. They also avoid confrontation, ignore problems, and pretend like pain doesn't exist. Granted, not all romantics are always all of these things; nonetheless, they are tendencies.

Lately I've been confused about my romantic tendencies, and have wondered if they are God-glorifying.
In his book Life Together, Dietrich Bonhoeffer looks at romanticism with disdain. He says

Innumerable times a whole Christian community
has broken down because it had sprung from a wish dream.
The serious Christian, set down for the first time in a Christian community,
is likely to bring with him a very definite idea of what
Christian life together should be and to try to realize it.
But God's grace speedily shatters such dreams...
God is not a God of the emotions but the God of truth...
Every human wish dream that is injected into the Christian community
is a hindrance to genuine community and must be banished
if genuine community is to survive
(27).

I'm having a hard time understanding this. On the one hand, I agree that "wish dreams" are fruitless. However, what about vision? Goals? Is there a worthy distinction between the two?
How am I to use my romantic tendencies for the glory of God? Where do romantics fit into the Body of Christ?

God obviously created emotions, and He obviously does not desire us to be ruled by them.
How does one who is so prone to constant, intense, emotional urges enjoy them and use them in a proper manner?

For example, tonight I spent a long while relishing the summer wind. It was glorious. I tried to imagine every inch of exposed skin being caressed by the delicious, warm breeze.
And another: yesterday morning I baked chocolate-chip banana bread. I sat on the porch with it and a cup of coffee and pondered true femininity.

More seriously: On Sunday, my pastor gave a moving sermon about "anticipation" and living a life wholly dedicated to Christ. As I listened to his fervent pleas for life action, my mind began to race at the possibilities for my own reponse. My heart beat faster and faster, and my stomach filled up with flurries as I envisioned a radical future of ministry and adventure. I could hardly sit still until he finished. It is almost Friday, and I still have tingles.

Are these things ok?
I don't know.
I accidentally put almond instead of vanilla extract in the banana bread. It produced a queer yet unique taste. Hmm.

Comment (1)

I don't think there is anything wrong with seeing the world through an idealist's eyes. How are we to draw others to hope and to Christ if we don't shine joy/optimism? No one likes a sour grape. However, I do think there is a danger of ignoring the obvious with a romanticized perception of the world. Optimism meets realism. I think, as with anything, our emotions are here for us to express God's glory. I think that's an easy way to tell whether or not we are "feeling" correctly, if that makes sense.

Post a Comment